Question about Aztec governance & revenue

Hey, I am working on research regarding famous rollup solutions like Aztec. After browsing through Aztec’s website and other related articles, I have some questions regarding governance and revenue that I’d like to ask in the community:

I understand that Aztec utilizes a 2-layer ZK-rollup, but could you please clarify the consensus mechanism employed by Aztec?
How does Aztec handle governance? Is it conducted through holding specific governance tokens for voting purposes?
Is there a validator staking mechanism within Aztec? If so, what tokens are required for staking?
Are there any statistics available for Aztec Network regarding fees and revenue?

I’d appreciate any insights the community can provide on these topics to better understand Aztec’s operations. Thank you!

57 Likes

Hey @Jessie appreciate the questions!

1. Consensus mechanisms are being actively worked on as part of this sequencer selection RFP - the current leading candidate is called Fernet but we will have a decision here in the coming weeks.

2. Upgrade/governance are actively being worked on as part of this upgrade RFP & again expect to reach clarity in Q3/Q4 of 2023.

3. Validator staking mechanism, fees, and revenue - See #1 for the latest research (but generally all tbd!). I’d expect another public RFP here to get involvement/suggestions from all interested 3 parties.

Hope this helps!

61 Likes

Thank you so much for your response. I have a few further questions.

Are you planning to support custom VMs in the upgrade or only support EVM?
Would you improve the scalability of Aztec?
Will Aztec provide more customizability for developers to design projects on it?

52 Likes

Aztec Labs is building a custom VM. It is not possible to build a strong privacy preserving system with the EVM architecture.

As a rollup, we are working on supporting a higher throughput and cheaper transactions than Ethereum and will use Ethereum as the data availability layer.

The VM we are building will allow for developers to write custom smart contracts for their applications, with their desired balance of private / public data.

69 Likes